Saturday, October 11, 2014

Sydney

Will I ever satisfy my wanderlust? I don’t believe I will. I have been getting around this year, but the more I do it, the hungrier I get for more. The only thing that kept me rooted in place is $$$. Who else could relate? Oh. Everyone. Except rich people.

 Relatively recently (like 3 months ago!) , I went to Sydney, Australia. I had not planned on it, but I found myself with an opportunity to go, so I grabbed it. To be honest, Sydney was never at the top of my travel wish list… though I want to live there. Don't get me wrong. I had great time exploring because regardless of my preferences for "exotic" culture and far-flung, less traveled places (in short my kaartehan), it is a wonderful city.


Say hi to my beloved host and tour guide, Katherine. 
I found her on the Internet… Just kidding, we’re family, she's my cousin. 


The iconic Sydney Opera House at night. 



The Brooklyn Bridge and the bird. Hashtag noir, hashtag artsyfartsy.


Since Australia is a former British Colony, it's a bit like the UK in some parts. I've actually never been there, so it's the UK of my imagination and from the movies. For example, when walking down the streets at night in the Rocks, Sydney’s oldest neighborhood, it was like in a Harry Potter village. I know there is more to UK than Harry Potter, but yeah, well... sorry. I'm a big geek.


Before the Dementors attacked at The Rocks.


At Queen Victoria Bldg. 
I should have taken pictures of the bathroom, 
the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets. 



St. Mary's Cathedral. Or Hogwarts, right? 
Ok, I'll stop now.


The original settlers in Australia are the aborigines. Next time - of course, there is a next time and I'm looking forward to it - I hope to visit central Australia to learn more of their culture.

Speaking of culture, art is thriving in this city. I wish I was there during spring for the Sculpture by the Sea. But I had to arrive in the middle of winter, no??? In any case, there are museums, galleries and alleyways that are open all year round. 


In deep conversation about art at the Museum of Contemporary Arts. 
*Free Admission- yey!



Forgotten Songs. A permanent installation at Angel Place alley.
Also free, and a little bit hidden away.



Street art is pretty cool. If you look closely, the 2 people 
in the photo are the graffiti artists working at a section in the wall.


What's more, Sydney really is a paradise for foodies. My cousin took me to a few restos but a favorite was the Grounds of Alexandria. We went there for brunch, but had to wait for almost an hour because it was already crowded. Fortunately, the waiting is not that bad. Here's why: 

Photo ops everywhere! Unexpected and charming.


There's a flower shop inside The Grounds.


If you're THAT hungry, there's a pastry cart and coffee kiosk 
outside the main restaurant. *drool*



What we ordered: Breakfast burger. Halfway in and we’re filled. 
We struggled to finish, but it was a delicious struggle.



And I also love the Velvet Garage and its eclectic decors.

Yes, it's an orange sedan behind the couch. 


A skull glass with umbrella to quench the thirst after walking around 
and stepping on dog sh*t? Definitely!


K and I were taking our selfie (or groupfie... twofie?) and people, as usual, 
were staring in wonder at the monopod.



But the most remarkable food-related experience, however... 

I just had to. 


Now, for a little bit of nature. And nature, Australia has abundance of - from city parks to wildlife sanctuaries. They have strict bio-ecology laws - that's what I admire about this country. Tani amo man di sa Pinas. 


"Lechon manok na ni kung sa Pinas." -K


I did get to appreciate Sydney's coast when we walked from Coogee to Bondi. The cliffside views were breathtaking, as well as the houses we passed by. If I were to live in Sydney, this should be my 'hood. This is a prime location, yes, so real estate prices are understandably soaring. But libre mangarap.


Cliffs along Bondi-Coogee coast.


Ain't this a lovely detour? Aahhh, what do I give
to discover secret places. 


Cemetery by the sea at Bronte.


Bondi- but it is a busy one during the summer.
This was the end to our 6 km walk, and to cap it off, we walked some more to 
look for a Pinoy resto somewhere in the area haha!

---

Bitin, no? I know there were lots of things I had missed, for one reason or another. Like, the cold making me numb and lazy. And I was also cramming for an exam. But I have no regrets, honestly. I had soaked enough of Sydney to last me for a while: culture, nature, and adventure-wise. I mean, step on dog sh*t? Get locked out of the house at winter? Went at the edge of the cliff for awesome pictures' sake? Yes, yes, and no because I did not get travel medical insurance.

Besides there's always something new to look forward to when I decide to visit again, right?

Sydney OOTD themes: Homeless in the park, skater girl, normal.


Always a delight to make new friends. Thank you, thank you for having me.



So as I finally close this post... a little Aussie humor seen in a T-shirt in Chinatown:







No comments:

Post a Comment